Great for cold weather or for times when a regular chicken soup isn’t what you’re looking for. This recipe makes enough for 6-8 people and is only slightly spicy as described here. You might also want to check out our recipe for Southwest White Chicken Chili.
3 Large chicken breasts (boiled/cooked, then shredded)
2 Medium size red new potatoes (chopped)
1 Medium size sweet onion (chopped)
2 Stalks of celery (diced)
1 Can of white beans (drained and rinsed)
1 Small can of Mexicorn (drained)
2-3 Cloves of garlic (minced)
1 Red bell pepper
2 1/2 cups Chicken broth
1 Whole jar (33 oz) Cookwell & Co green chili stew
(probably can substitute 12-16 ounces of green chili tomatillo salsa)
1 cup Whipping cream (or half & half for a lighter version)
1 tsp Tony’s Cacheres creole seasoning
1/2 tsp Garlic salt
Freshly chopped cilantro
Colby Jack cheese
Note above that several items need some form of preparation (cooking, chopping, draining, etc) before combining and cooking.
Also note that most green chili stews contain both onions and celery. Depending on your taste preferences, you might decide to reduce the amounts for those two items or even eliminate them altogether.
- Saute onions, celery and red bell pepper in a large stock pot until tender (onions translucent).
- Add minced garlic, Tony’s seasoning, garlic salt, chicken broth and potatoes.
- Add cracked pepper to taste.
- Bring to a low boil and cook potatoes until almost tender.
- Add white beans, Mexicorn, green chili stew, shredded chicken, sautéed ingredients and whipping cream. Can add more broth, if needed.
- Stir and let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Garnish each bowl with fresh cilantro and/or grated Colby Jack cheese, if desired. Also goes great with cornbread.
*Tip* Garnish each bowl with fresh cilantro and/or grated Colby Jack cheese. Also goes great with cornbread.
Optional Cooking in an Instant Pot:
If you prefer to cook this in an instant pot, below are some tidbits to follow.
- Use two tablespoons of olive oil coat the bottom of the instant pot
- Place chicken breasts into the pot and season with Tony’s seasoning (or salt and pepper) and garlic salt.
- Top the chicken with 1 cup of the green chili stew
- Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes, then allow for an additional 5 minutes of natural pressure release.
- Release the remaining pressure from the instant pot.
- Pull out the chicken and set it aside to cool.
- Place the potato cubes, onion, corn, beans and sautéed ingredients into the instant pot.
- Add the chicken broth and the remaining green chili stew to the instant pot.
- Set the instant pot to simmer and leave for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- While the chowder is simmering, shred the chicken.
- Once the potatoes are tender, add the shredded chicken and cream.
- Stir everything together and serve.