Great for cold weather or for times when a beef-based chili isn’t what you’re looking for. This recipe makes enough for 8-10 people and is only slightly spicy as described here. You might also want to check out our recipe for Green Chili Chicken Chowder.
4-5 Medium size or larger chicken breasts (cooked & shredded)
1 Medium sized sweet onion (chopped)
3 Green onions (chopped – whole thing)
2 16oz cans of white beans (cannellini or great northern or similar)
2 4oz cans of diced green chilies
(can substitute 1/2 jar of HEB Cookwell & Co green chili stew)
32 oz Chicken stock (or broth)
1 Tbsp Olive oil
1 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp Ground cumin
1 tsp Dried oregano
1 Tbsp Fresh cilantro (chopped)
Monterrey Jack cheese
As shown above, several items need some form of preparation before combining and cooking.
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat
- Sauté onions for 4-5 minutes (or until translucent)
- Stir in chicken broth and spices (garlic powder, pepper, cumin, oregano)
- Add shredded chicken
- Simmer for 15 minutes
- Stir in beans and simmer for 5 minutes
- Before serving, add cilantro, salt and pepper to taste
- Upon serving, add Monterrey Jack cheese as garnish. Also goes well served over white rice.