Great for cold weather or for times when a beef-based chili isn’t what you’re looking for. This recipe makes enough for 8-10 people and is only slightly spicy as described here. You might also want to check out our recipe for Green Chili Chicken Chowder.
4-5 Medium size or larger chicken breasts (cooked & shredded)
1 Medium sized sweet onion (chopped)
3 Green onions (chopped – whole thing)
2 16oz cans of white beans (cannellini or great northern or similar)
2 4oz cans of diced green chilies
(can substitute 1/2 jar of HEB Cookwell & Co green chili stew)
32 oz Chicken stock (or broth)
1 Tbsp Olive oil
1 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp Ground cumin
1 tsp Dried oregano
1 Tbsp Fresh cilantro (chopped)
Monterrey Jack cheese
As shown above, several items need some form of preparation before combining and cooking. Regarding the chicken, cut the breasts into smaller pieces (1/2 or 1/3) and place into a pot of water. Bring to a boil and then immediately turn off and let sit for 5-6 minutes. Then take out, let cool and shred.
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat
- Sauté onions for 4-5 minutes (or until translucent)
- Stir in chicken broth and spices (garlic powder, pepper, cumin, oregano)
- Add shredded chicken
- Simmer for 15 minutes
- Stir in beans and simmer for 5 minutes
- Before serving, add cilantro, salt and pepper to taste
- Upon serving, add Monterrey Jack cheese as garnish. Also goes well served over white rice.